Hot diggity dog, the Barney Wood Bark Park is the coolest place for humans and hounds to run around together. The Farmers Branch Parks and Recreation officially opened the first dog park in Farmers Branch in July 2019. Admission is free for everyone wanting to use the park all year long, except for City-sponsored special events.
The 1.44 acre located at 14090 Heartside Place, was previously known as the Barney Wood Football Field at Don Showman Park. This fun public park is open Tuesday thru Sunday, between 6:00 a.m. until 10 p.m., and closed on Mondays for maintenance. The recommended age to enter the park is 10 and children ages 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult. As with all public parks in Farmers Branch, staff does not provide supervision of visitors. You and your pet are responsible for each other.
Located next to the Farmers Branch Community Recreation Center, this dog park has been revitalized into large dogs (over 30 lbs) and small dogs (under 30 lbs) areas. Each section has doubled-gated entry, splash pads with bright yellow fire hydrants that spray water, lighting, and ample seating – if your dog lets you sit. Puppies under the age of four months are too young to bring to the Barney Wood Bark Park and must wait until they are old enough to safely socialize.
The park itself is not available to rent, but you are welcome to rent the pavilions for dog birthday parties and other pet-related celebrations. Please contact Jessica Alvarado at the Recreation Center for details, 972-247-4607.
Who is Barney E. Wood? This long-time resident was a respected mainstay of the Farmers Branch Parks and Recreation board for 29 years and served 13 years as chairman. Barney’s steady hand and leadership contributed to the emergence of Parks and Recreation and the development of youth sports in Farmers Branch. From the construction and maintenance of the fields, to coach and league coordinator, Barney was there! On October 12, 2002, the City of Farmers Branch honored Barney’s exemplary service with the dedication of the Barney E. Wood Athletic Complex. Barney’s legacy continues to be shared with citizens of our community and their four-legged friends.
Have a question about the Barney Wood Bark Park? Discover the answers in their FAQ or review the Rules of the Bark Park below.
Barney Wood Bark Park
14090 Heartside Place, Farmers Branch, Texas 75234
Rules of the Bark Park
We want everyone, including you and your dog, to have a happy and safe experience while visiting the Bark Park! Courtesy is contagious, please abide by these rules so all dogs and humans may enjoy this park.
- Hours are 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday. The dog park is closed Mondays for maintenance.
- The City of Farmers Branch is not responsible for injury or damage; enjoy at your own risk. Dog owners are responsible for all actions of their dogs.
- 10 and under are strongly discouraged from entering the park. Children ages 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs must remain on a leash at all times outside the designated play area.
- Dogs must be off leash in the play area.
- Dogs must display current rabies vaccination tags.
- Dogs that have been declared aggressive and/or dangerous by any Animal Services Agency shall not be allowed in the dog park.
- Dogs that are aggressive, ill, or in heat are not allowed.
- If aggression occurs, the aggressive dog must be leashed and leave the off-leash/play area immediately. If an injury occurs the aggressive dog owner must release correct contact information with all parties involved. If the owner is not cooperative please contact the Farmers Branch Police Non-Emergency at 972.484.3620.
- Puppies under four (4) months of age are not allowed.
- Handlers must not run with or chase after dogs in the dog park.
- Strollers, bikes, skateboards, and in-line skates are not allowed.
- The small dog area is only for dogs less than 30 lbs. Small dogs may play in the large dog area at their owner’s risk.
- Handlers must remain in the park and keep their dogs in view at all times.
- Handlers are required to pick up and dispose of their dog’s feces.
- Limit of three (3) dogs per handler.
- No food (dog or human) allowed in the fenced area.
- Smoking, vaping, alcohol, and glass bottles are not allowed.
- Digging is not allowed.
- No events can be conducted on park property without prior approval of the Director of Parks and Recreation Department.
- The dog park may close without prior notice due to weather or maintenance.
- Dog water fountains are shut down and winterized from November 15-March 15.
- Water features operate daily during select times, weather permitting. Times are subject to change, refer to water feature signage for times.
PLEASE REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO 972-484-3620
Chapter 50 of Farmers Branch, Code of Ordinance
You can become a Friend of the Barney Wood Bark Park and get your name on the donor board by making a $100 donation through the online form (limited availability). Sponsorship is also available for dog park benches, doggie doo bag dispensers and fence panels. All donations are tax deductible.
- RED STIX ASIAN STREET FOOD ADDED TO MUSTANG STATION
- FARMERS BRANCH BIKE RODEO FOR KIDS
- BARNEY WOOD BARK PARK
- ALL-INCLUSIVE PLAYGROUND AT GUSSIE FIELD WATTERWORTH PARK
- THE CULTURED CUP IS A WORLD OF TEA WITH SIP OF CHOCOLATE